Monday, October 31, 2011

Ground Beef Stroganoff


This is my mother-in-law's recipe, and I like how it makes use of ground beef and lots of dill.  I prefer to use fresh mushrooms; if you use canned ones, add them to the beef with the soup and dill.  For the sour cream, I have used both low fat and regular with success.

While it's a bit expensive ($3-$5 a bottle for the cheaper brands), I think the cooking sherry really makes this recipe stand out; red cooking wine works also (I have even used white in a pinch, but it's not as good).  Aldi carries Winking Owl wine for under $5; I usually keep a bottle each of red and white in the fridge to use for cooking (just don't try drinking it!).

Ground Beef Stroganoff
Serves 4-6

1 lb. ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, halved then sliced (OR 1 can mushrooms stems and pieces)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tsp. dill weed
1/4 cup cooking wine or sherry, optional
1 cup sour cream
wide egg noodles, cooked

In a large skillet, brown beef with garlic and onion; drain.  Transfer beef to a bowl; set aside.  Saute mushrooms in same skillet, stirring frequently, until tender.  Add beef, mushroom soup, dill, and wine or sherry, if desired.  Heat through.  Just before serving, add sour cream.  Keep on low heat until warmed through; do not allow to boil.  Serve over egg noodles.

No comments: