Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pork Chops with Pineapple

Yes, I know this is an old post, but I cooked these again this week and this time took a picture!  My favorite cookbooks are ones that have a picture to match every single recipe, and I don't think blogs are really any different.

I should also note that the creative use of cropping in this photo is, in fact, my pathetic attempt to hide some pretty disturbing third-degree burns suffered by my poor little pork chop.  I'm still trying to figure out how to cook pork.  Give me a break.


This is probably my favorite pork chop recipe, because 1. it's perfect for grilling in the summer and still great for broiling in the winter; 2. it tastes Asian and tropical at the same time, but isn't supposed to be either; 3. it reminds me of when my mom used to make it for us as kids; and 4. (best of all) it uses almost all co-op ingredients!  I usually broil the meat, but you can grill it too.  If you can't find sliced pineapple, the canned chunks are okay, but you might want to put them on skewers (especially for grilling).

Pork Chops with Pineapple
Serves 4-6
Begin 3-1/2 hours in advance (or night before)

1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 T. soy sauce
4-6 pork chops (about 2 lbs.)
1 can sliced pineapple
hot cooked rice

In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients.  Add chops; turn to coat.  Cover; marinate in refrigerator, turning occasionally, 3 hours or overnight.  Remove chops; bring marinade to a boil.  Grill or broil chops, basting with marinade, until juices run clear (cut into thickest part of meat).  Meanwhile, grill or broil pineapple brushed with marinade until golden.  Bring remaining marinade to a boil; serve as sauce over chops and hot rice.

No comments: