Friday, May 18, 2012

Spicy Sausage Wraps with Onions and Spinach

I posted this recipe on Facebook before my blog even got started.  I've added some pictures (after digging up my old, not-so-wonderful camera) and made a few changes.  My husband claims this is one of his favorite recipes.  They're yummy.  They're easy.  Make them.


I saw this tasty, inexpensive recipe in the local newspaper while on vicarage.  The original recipe calls for spicy turkey sausage meat, but you can use any variety of turkey or pork bulk sausage.  Of the co-op varieties, I've used both the Italian and the Amish-style pork sausages.  To keep the spicy flavor, I usually add 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes or cayenne powder at the end.  I buy my tortillas at Aldi; a 10-ct. package is $.99.  (Unfortunately, the Aldi brand doesn't seem to freeze as well as others.)  Aldi also has fairly reasonable prices on chunk cheese (about $2 for 8 oz.) if you can't find it at the co-op or on sale elsewhere.  I also use the Aldi Parmesan/romano cheese blend ($2.39)--admittedly not as good as fresh Parmesan, but it's my favorite "brand" of the pre-grated stuff.

Spicy Sausage Wraps with Onions and Spinach
Time:  30-45 minutes
Serves: 4-6

1 lb. bulk sausage (turkey or pork, spicy if possible)
1 Tb. olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
8 cups chopped fresh spinach (I just use the whole 10-oz. bag)
1 Tb. minced garlic
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes OR 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder, optional
six 8-inch flour tortillas

In a large skillet over medium-high, cook sausage meat until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.  Drain; transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined dish and set aside.

Return skillet to the stove over medium heat.  Add oil and onions, then saute until golden and softened, about 9 minutes.  Stir in the garlic; cook 1 minute.  Add spinach; cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 4 to 6 minutes.  Stir in the reserved sausage until mixture is well combined.  Gently stir in the mozzarella and Parmesan.  Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, if desired.  Season with pepper.


Divide filling among the tortillas.  Roll up, placing the wrap seam-side down on a microwave-safe plate.  Microwave until heated through, about 1 to 2 minutes.  (Alternatively, heat wraps in a 350 F oven for 5-7 minutes.)

No comments: