Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cheesy Brat Casserole


Comfort food (kuhm-fert food) n. 1. simple, home-style food that brings comforting thoughts of home or childhood. 2. Cheesy Brat Casserole.

This stuff is amazing.  It's the ultimate potluck dish.  Potatoes?  Check.  Cream of mushroom soup?  Check.  Canned veggies?  Check.  Loads of melty cheese?  Of course.  Toss in a pound of bratwurst and you've got the casserole of your dreams, all co-op supplied, I might add.

I was given this recipe along with a wedding gift from a friend at my home congregation.  It's actually called "Cheesy Brat Stew," but since it's nothing like a stew and everything like a casserole, I'm calling it a casserole.  You can call it whatever you want--just make it.

Cheesy Brat Casserole
Time:  1 hour, 15 minutes
Serves: 6

6 fully cooked bratwurst or Polish sausage (1 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I used a package of Cajun brats, which added a nice kick, and I broiled them to get them all browned and beautiful)
4 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled, and cubed (I used red potatoes and left the skins on; I cooked them in the microwave for about10 minutes, turning halfway through)
1 (14-16 oz.) can cut green beans, drained
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion (or half a large onion), chopped

In a 3-quart casserole, combine all ingredients.  Bake, covered, at 350 F for about 45 minutes.

Can be made ahead and put in the refrigerator.



No comments: