Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Melt-in-Your-Mouth Acorn Squash


Butter and brown sugar make everything better.  This is my favorite way of preparing (and eating) acorn squash (actually, I think it's the only way I've ever eaten it, so if someone wants to suggest some new ideas, go for it).  It always reminds me of my parents' big garden back home, and how my dad would plant a whole row of acorn squash, usually resulting in more produce than the six of us could ever hope to eat in a year (we tried hard, but the summer squash and zucchini sort of got in the way).  All autumn long, my mom would pop those babies in the microwave, and they emerged dripping with a buttery, tender, deliciousness.  I could never resist.  Yum.

Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Butter
Serves 2
Time:  15 minutes

1 acorn squash
2 T. butter
2 T. brown sugar

Using your biggest kitchen knife, split the squash in half horizontally.  Scoop out the seeds and pulp; place both halves on a microwave-safe plate.  (I like to use a quiche dish because it has sides to keep the juices contained.)  Place 1 T. each of butter and sugar in each half.  Loosely cover with wax paper.  Microwave on high for 6-10 minutes (if your microwave doesn't have a turntable, stop halfway through and turn plate).  Squash flesh should be easily pierced with a fork when done.  Let cool slightly before serving (they will be very hot!).

2 comments:

Simply Creations said...

I love acorn squash, too. I've never had it with the brown sugar added, but will give it a try.

We prepared them this way: half them & scoop out seeds (like you do). Add butter, 1-2T and salt and pepper to taste. Wrap them in foil and cook in the oven*.
*We cook in the microwave now, but growing up, we didn't get a microwave until I was about 12 (now I'm showing my age!).
Let sit for a couple of mins before serving, if cooking in oven, to allow to rest.

Beth

Audrey said...

Sounds delicious! I've roasted pie pumpkins in the oven, but I haven't tried acorn squash before. Maybe I'll have to do that next fall. :)