Monday, February 13, 2012

Restaurant-Style Salsa


About a month ago, I finally broke down and joined Pinterest.  I was afraid it would cause me to waste even more time online than I did already.  I needn't have worried.  I am quite capable of wasting time on Pinterest on my own.

And now, this is me.

The good news is that I've been discovering some pretty tasty looking recipes.  Pinterest makes it easy to keep track of things that I "might want to make someday," so I don't have to e-mail the links to myself or print them out before deeming them worthy of precious printer ink and paper.  The bad news is that now I have about 25 desserts to try, and not nearly enough marshmallow creme and Karo syrup in the pantry.  *sigh*

While I still haven't given up on making my own oatmeal cream pies, this easy restaurant-style salsa is a pretty tasty Pinterest find that won't completely rot out all your teeth.  Unlike my black bean salsa, this salsa is very smooth, just like the stuff they serve with chips at a lot of Mexican restaurants.  Because I don't have a big food processor and I hate cleaning my blender, I decided to puree all the ingredients in batches with my little food processor.  It worked okay, but took me a little longer.

You can get almost all of the ingredients at the co-op, and the others are very inexpensive.  Cilantro is about $.50 at Kroger and Meijer, and you can run the leftovers through a food processor and freeze in 1 Tb. amounts for making guacamole later.  Jalapenos are also inexpensive (I still had some frozen from last summer).  If you don't have Rotel (or at least diced tomatoes with chilies), you can substitute another can of regular diced tomatoes, plus a small can of diced green chilies.

Restaurant-Style Salsa (based on this recipe)
Time:  10 minutes

1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel (diced tomatoes with chilies), undrained
1/2 large cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/4 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed
1 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves (wash before stripping leaves from stems)
juice of 1 lime

Combine ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine for 30 seconds or so until all the ingredients are very finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency.  (See note above if using a small food processor.)  Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: