Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chicken with Curried Mango Sauce

I'm not really into dishes that combine fruit with meat.  I love meat.  I love fruit.  But apples with pork chops just aren't my thing.  Sometimes, though, I feel adventurous and try out a recipe that I normally wouldn't, just to make sure my taste buds aren't missing out.  Tonight I made these Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard.  They were pretty tasty, if you ask me.  My husband (who shares my fruit+meat opinions) thought they were too sweet.  I probably won't make them again, but they were a nice change of pace.

We both agree, however, that this mango chicken is basically awesome.  Since my [husband's] camera died this week, and since I don't make any major changes to the recipe, you'll just have to go here to make it.  You can substitute green or yellow bell pepper for the red.  I think the basmati rice is delicious with the tropical-ish flavors, but plain white or brown rice will work as well.  Just remember to start cooking it before you begin the chicken.  Butterflying the chicken breasts--or cutting them in half horizontally--will help them cook faster.  I also find that 1 tsp. oil is not nearly enough to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan, especially if it's been butterflied, so start with 1 T. oil, then add a little water later if the meat is still sticking.  Enjoy!

P.S.  Fresh chicken breasts are on sale at Kroger this week (through Thursday) for $1.88/lb.

P.P.S.  Aldi has some great deals on produce this week (through Wednesday), including 3-pack cucumbers for $0.69, 1-pound baby carrots for $0.69, 8-ounce mushrooms for $0.69, 10-ounce grape tomatoes for (you guessed it) $0.69, and 3-pack bell peppers for $1.29.  I love Aldi.

No comments: